Monday, November 23, 2009

Yummy Tortilla


So if you are my friend you really hate shopping at the grocery store with me.  I am always saying "you know you can make that"  and " It is cheaper if you make it your self."   So our friends were coming over for dinner and I was making enchilada's.  She asked in her sassy little voice "you gonna make the tortillas from scratch?"  Well as I felt a challenge so I replied, "of course"  It now begins.

I brought out all the things needed.  Maseca, salt and water.  It really is pretty easy it just takes time.

First I added the salt.

Then the water.

Then just mix till you get a soft dough.  Adding water by the tablespoon if needed.

The dough should look something like this.  YES I cheated and used my kitchenaid mixer. Thus the different colored bowl.  But it is really easy to do with out the mixer too.


My MIL bought this tortilla press for us and I love it.  If you do not have one you can use your hands to press and shape or use a rolling pin.

Use plastic wrap or a plastic bag so that your tortilla doesn't stick.  I just cut a zip loc baggie.

Roll a ball and then flatten with press.

A little sticky.  Maybe too wet.  but you see why the plastic is nice.

Second time is a charm!

No they are not pancakes although they have a striking resemblance.  You have to cook them over medium high heat for about 60 seconds on each side.

And there you have it home made corn tortillas.  Next time I will show how to grind your own corn for flower.  HA HA HA just kidding!  Need less to say the enchiladas were the BOMB!
of course I did not make enough tortillas so as I was assembling the enchiladas I mad a frantic call to hubby and asked for him to buy some.  Well,that did not work out so well for me.  I had to make another batch after I had already cleaned up everything.  So the moral of the story is it may be cheaper and you can make it but sometimes the cost is worth the convenience.
THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment